Sunday, September 2, 2012

FAQs

People in airports always ask me what I do and where I am going. I get told pretty frequently that I look too young to be travelling by myself. When I tell them that I am travelling for work, of course the next question is, "Oh, what do you do?" My answer is always the same thing: "I am in consulting." The person 9/10 times just can not leave it at that. "Wow, that's a broad statement." "I work for my sorority, Alpha Xi Delta." This of course is followed by 100 of the same questions, almost every time.

I have also encountered college students who have no idea who I am or what I do. They too have some crazy questions for me.

Examples of both:

-Are you still in school? No, I graduated in December. Only graduated women can be ELCs.

-Oh, so you plan the parties? No, the Chapter has a social chair for that. I am here to help with Recruitment, programming, leadership development, officer support etc.

-Are you married? Do you have kids? No, and no. I don't think that anyone who is married or has a child would want to do this kind of job. It is hard enough with a serious boyfriend!

-How often do you get to go home? I get a week off each semester, so not very often.

-You say that you "live out of your suitcase." What does that mean exactly? I mean that everything I have is in my suitcases. You have to pack a lot of stuff when you are away from home for 3-4 months at a time!

-Do you like your job? YES! I love my job. I miss everyone back home but this is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

-Do you get homesick? Of course! Thank goodness for cell phones, skype, fb, and snail mail!

-How do you become an ELC? You apply for it. Applications come out in the fall!

-What is the best part of your job? Getting to see so many different places, getting to know so many different Sisters, and helping to make Alpha Xi Delta even better!

-What is the worst part of your job? Missing my family, boyfriend, friends, and doggies!

I hope everyone has a fabulous Labor Day weekend! I will be helping Theta Chi do some last minute Recruitment preparations, I cant believe that it starts Wednesday!!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment